Despite previous suggestions of a delay, the Department for Exiting the European Union and the European Commission have confirmed that Brexit negotiations will officially begin on Monday, 19 June.
In a joint press statement, the European Commission and DexEU said that “Michel Barnier, the European Commission’s Chief Negotiator, and David Davis, Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union, agreed today to launch Article 50 negotiations on Monday, 19 June.”
The talks will begin despite the fact that an arrangement has yet to be made between the Conservative party and DUP to keep Theresa May’s minority government afloat. The Queen’s Speech will also not have taken place.
David Davis, Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union, had previously suggested a delay for the beginning of talks.
“My permanent secretary is actually in Brussels today talking to them about the details. It may not be on the Monday because we’ve also got the Queen’s Speech that week and I will have to speak in that and so on,” he said on Monday.
But the government will be sticking with the original timetable, regardless of domestic turmoil.